16 Supposedly Healthy Foods With More Sugar Than A Snickers Bar
This list is going to break your heart and I really am sorry.
A regular-sized Snickers bar contains 27 grams of sugar (the equivalent of 7 teaspoons).
Why is this bad?
Sugar is addictive.
We definitely eat too much of it.
And, too much of any kind makes us fat.
Now let us begin with the heartbreak.
1. Odwalla Original Superfood Drink: 37 grams sugar
2. Jamba Juice Banana Berry Smoothie (small): 60 grams sugar
3. McDonald's Fruit & Maple Oatmeal: 32 grams sugar
4. Dunkin' Donuts Reduced-Fat Blueberry Muffin: 40 grams sugar
5. Chobani Black Cherry Blended Yogurt: 28 grams sugar
6. Stonyfield Fat-Free Blackberry Blend Yogurt: 28g sugar
7. Burger King Chicken, Apple & Cranberry Garden Fresh Salad with TENDERGRILL® Chicken: 38 grams sugar
8. Pom Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice (8-ounce bottle): 31 grams sugar
9. Snapple Green Tea (16-ounce bottle): 30 grams sugar
10. Raisins (one-quarter cup): 29 grams sugar
11. IHOP Whole Wheat Pancakes with Banana (four pancakes, no syrup): 32 grams sugar
12. Vitamin Water Power-C: 32 grams sugar
13. VitaCoco Coconut water with pineapple (per 16-ounce container): 30 grams sugar
14. Chili's Caribbean Chicken Salad with Grilled Chicken: 67 grams sugar
15. Juice Generation Amazing Green Açai Bowl: 41 grams sugar
16. Starbucks Greek Yogurt and Honey Parfait: 30 grams sugar
Where the sugar comes from: milled cane sugar, honey, barley malt syrup, cranberries, sugar, elderberry juice concentrate, sugar
"Honey is glorified sugar," says James. "It's got a health halo, but it's glorified sugar." It has the same glycemic index — meaning it affects your blood sugar in the same way, giving you a temporary spike in energy and then leaving you hungry and craving more sugar soon after — as sugar. And, while adding a small amount of honey (there are only about 9 grams of sugar in 2 teaspoons), some pre-packaged honey-and-yogurt parfaits have as much as one-quarter cup of honey (67 grams sugar). The takeaway? Make your own, so that you can control the amount of sugar you add. If you're on the go, choose a parfait that's just plain yogurt and fresh fruit, with no added sweetener. The Greek Yogurt with Berries Parfait at Starbucks has 19 grams of sugar, making it a better option.