74% would make again
featured in 3-Ingredient Holiday Dishes
December 19, 2019
for 9 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 2 cups self-rising flour (250 g), plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus more for topping
- ¾ cup cold buttermilk (180 mL), plus more as needed and plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Calories 187
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 24g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a box grater, grate the frozen butter into a large bowl. Add the flour, salt, and pepper and stir with a spatula to combine.
- Pour in the buttermilk, stirring until the dough starts to come together. If should hold together when gently squeezed in your hand. If the mixture is still dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough holds together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape it into a rough rectangle. Using a bench scraper, fold one half of the rectangle on top of the other half. Pat down, and repeat the process 2 more times. This will build flaky layers.
- Gently shape the dough into an 8-inch square. Cut into 9 smaller squares. Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet, spacing at least 1 inch apart.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with the melted butter. Top each biscuit with a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Bake the biscuits for 12–15 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden brown at the edges, and just baked through.