30-Minute Nagan Kozhi Curry (Kerala Chicken Curry)
featured in 3-Minute Vs. 30-Minute Vs. 3-Hour Curry
This spicy and flavorful curry is made with chicken, coconut milk, and a blend of aromatic spices. Best of all, it's ready in just 30 minutes!
August 14, 2023
94% would make again
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 2 green chiles, halved lengthwise
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons tandoori masala
- 1 cup crushed tomato (200 g)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (455 g), diced
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (240 mL)
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste, or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- steamed rice, for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- kashmiri chile powder, for garnish
- Calories 433
- Fat 21g
- Carbs 21g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 38g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a wide-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat the coconut oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the mustard seeds and cook until just beginning to pop, 30–60 seconds. Add the curry leaves and let crisp for 30 seconds, then add the green chiles and sauté for 30 seconds more, until fragrant.
- Add the red onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tandoori masala and cook for 1 minute, until lightly toasted.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, until well combined.
- Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat the chicken well with the spiced tomato mixture and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the coconut milk, tamarind paste, and sugar and stir well. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the oil begins to separate from the sauce.
- Spoon the curry over steamed rice. Garnish with cilantro and a sprinkle of chile powder, if desired.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.