96% would make again
40-Minute Cinnamon Rolls
featured in 4-min vs. 40-min vs. 4 Hour Cinnamon Rolls
This 40-minute cinnamon roll recipe is great for a weekend brunch to share with your friends. In under an hour, you could be devouring rich and yummy cinnamon rolls topped with a classic cream cheese frosting.
for 9 cinnamon rolls
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 5 ¼ cups all purpose flour (655 g), plus more for dusting
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk (420 mL), warm to the touch
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar (250 g)
- ½ stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 oz cream cheese (110 g), softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar (110 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Calories 508
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 101g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 40g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk, melted butter, egg, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and yeast. Mix with a rubber spatula until a shaggy dough forms. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead for about 1 minute, until mostly smooth and the dough springs back when poked. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rest while you make the filling.
- Make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon until combined.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a 12 x 16-inch rectangle.
- Spread the filling evenly over the dough. Starting with a the long edge, tightly roll the dough into a log. Cut the log into 9 even pieces.
- Transfer the cinnamon rolls to the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, until light golden brown around the edges.
- While the cinnamon rolls bake, make the frosting: In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Let the cinnamon rolls cool for 10 minutes, then cover with the frosting.