Arroz Caldo As Made By Janna
Get ready to taste a traditional Filipino comfort food that's as heartwarming as it is delicious! This dish is a savory and soulful combination of two classics, chicken and rice, making for a meal that's sure to become a new family favorite.
for 4 servings
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 5 in (12 cm)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (455 g)
- 4 tablespoons oil, neutral, such as canola, divided
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup basmati rice (200 g), or any white rice
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups water (480 mL)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- lime juice, for serving
- hard-boiled egg, for serving
- scallion, thinly sliced, for serving
- chicharróne, for serving
- Calories 539
- Fat 18g
- Carbs 50g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 41g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Peel the ginger using a spoon, then slice thinly.
- Cube the chicken breasts.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the garlic and fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan, draining off any excess oil, and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and sliced ginger and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and rice and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add the water and cover with the lid. Simmer until the water is absorbed, the rice is tender, and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the fish sauce.
- Serve the chicken and rice with lime juice, hard-boiled eggs, scallions, the fried garlic, and chicharrones.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.