Audrey Hepburn’s Spaghetti Al Pomodoro
Audrey Hepburn's spaghetti al pomodoro is a simple yet delicious pasta dish, with fresh tomato sauce and plenty of garlic and basil.
May 14, 2023
91% would make again
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, washed, half of the leaves minced and half left whole
- 28 oz canned whole peeled tomato (795 g), 2 cans
- salt, to taste
- 1 lb dried spathetti (455 g)
- ½ cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (55 g)
- 1 cup carrots (125 g), diced
- Calories 634
- Fat 12g
- Carbs 103g
- Fiber 9g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 21g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Dice the carrots, onion, and celery. Thinly slice half of the basil leaves. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook until softened but not brown.
- Add in the whole basil leaves, garlic, and tomatoes. Bring the sauce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking apart the larger tomatoes as they cook.
- After 45 minutes, or when the vegetables are tender, remove the sauce from the heat and let rest for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, fill another large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add salt, if desired. Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and rinse the pasta with lukewarm water to prevent sticking.
- Taste the sauce and add salt, if desired. Serve pasta topped generously with sauce, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and the reserved sliced basil leaves.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.