95% would make again
Bacon Jalapeño Popper Pinwheels
featured in Everything You Can Cook With Jalapeños
for 8 servings
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 jalapeñoes, chopped and seeded
- 8 oz cream cheese (225 g), room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese (150 g), extra for topping
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 sheet puff pastry, room temperature
- flour, for rolling dough
- Calories 460
- Fat 35g
- Carbs 20g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 16g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a pan, cook bacon until crisp, then chop into small pieces.
- Discard excess fat (reserve approximately 2 tablespoons).
- In the same pan, sauté the onions in the reserved fat until they start to become translucent.
- Add the jalapeños. Cook until the onions start to caramelize and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, bacon, cheddar, pepper, garlic powder, and jalapeño mixture. Stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently roll out the puff pastry until the surface is smooth and even.
- Spread the japapeño mixture on the pastry sheet, stopping 1 inch (2 ½ cm) from the top of the dough.
- Starting at the bottom, tightly roll upwards and pinch the top edge to seal into a log shape.
- Cut the roll every 1½ inches (3 ¾ cm). Place the pieces face-up, 2 inches (5 cm) apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops of the pastries with cheddar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sides of the pastries are a light golden color.