95% would make again
BBQ Jackfruit Sliders
featured in Meatless Sliders 5 Ways
Inspired by tasty.co
for 12 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons pepper
- 20 oz young green jackfruit (565 g), 3 cans, in brine or water
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth (360 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups barbecue sauce (325 g)
- 3 cups green cabbage (300 g), chopped
- 3 cups red cabbage (300 g), chopped
- 1 cup carrot (110 g), shredded
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise (195 g)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 12 slider buns, or dinner rolls
- Calories 399
- Fat 18g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 5g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, then cut into smaller pieces, removing the core.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, until semi-translucent.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant. Add the jackfruit, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and liquid smoke, and mix well. Add the vegetable broth, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, until the jackfruit is soft enough to be mashed.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mash the jackfruit with potato masher or a couple of forks, until it looks pulled or shredded.
- Transfer the jackfruit to the baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the jackfruit is slightly browned and crispy.
- Make the coleslaw: add green and red cabbage and carrots to a large bowl. In a small liquid measuring cup, combine the mayo, mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper, and mix until creamy. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss the coleslaw until the dressing is well-distributed. Set aside.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven, and pour the BBQ sauce over. Mix well.
- Return to the oven, and bake for another 10 minutes, until the edges are slightly crispy.
- Use a large bread knife to cut the whole sheet of slider buns in half. Remove the top and set aside. Spread the BBQ jackfruit on the bottom half of the buns, then top with coleslaw.
- Add the top buns, then slice into 12 sliders.