Beef Stew Gratin
featured in 5 Ways To Prepare Gratin
This hearty and comforting dish takes traditional beef stew to the next level with a crispy and cheesy breadcrumb topping. You won't be able to resist this cozy and delicious meal.
May 14, 2023
96% would make again
for 6 servings
- 1 lb diced beef (500 g)
- ½ cup plain flour (50 g)
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stems celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch fresh rosemary
- 1 cup chopped tomato (200 g)
- ½ cup red wine (125 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups beef stock (300 mL)
- 2 large potatoes, thinly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh thyme
- ½ cup gruyère cheese (50 g), grated
- Calories 457
- Fat 18g
- Carbs 38g
- Fiber 48g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 31g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350˚F).
- Add salt and pepper to the flour and use it to coat the diced beef. Brown off beef in a deep ovenproof pan with olive oil. Remove from pan.
- Add more oil and fry the onions until translucent. Add the carrots and celery and fry for another 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes together with the beef.
- Add in the tomato puree and rosemary and fry for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped tomato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and allow to reduce slightly. Add the beef stock and allow to reduce for 10 minutes.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove and cover the top of the stew with thinly-chopped peeled potatoes, arranged so they are overlapping slightly.
- Cover with melted butter, salt, pepper, and thyme and cook for a further 45 minutes at 200°C (400˚F) with the lid off.
- Remove from oven once potatoes are cooked and cover with the grated gruyere. Grill on high for 5-10 minutes until cheese is bubbling.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.