Make dinner time more delightful with this classic beef stroganoff! Tender strips of beef, cooked with onions and mushrooms, in a creamy and rich sauce served over egg noodles, this dish will become a family favorite.
for 16 servings
- 2 lb beef sirloin (910 g), cut into 2 in cubes
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup flour (60 g), divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb cremini mushroom (455 g), sliced
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 2 cups beef broth (480 mL)
- ½ cup sour cream (115 g)
- ½ cup fresh parsley (20 g), chopped
- 4 cups egg noodle (600 g), buttered, rice or potatoes, for serving
- Calories 266
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 20g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 14g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, season the beef with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Add ¼ cup (30 g) of flour, and toss the beef cubes until they are fully coated.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat the canola oil until it shimmers. Place about half of the beef cubes in the pan. Sear the beef on one side until it develops a deep brown crust, 3-5 minutes. Then flip and sear on the other side for 3-5 minutes. Then, stir the beef until evenly browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the pan. Repeat with the remaining meat.
- Melt the butter in the leftover meat drippings.
- Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the onions are soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until deeply browned and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cognac and scrape the brown bits, releasing them from the bottom of the pan. Cook and stir until the cognac is fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup (30 g) flour into the pan and stir to coat the the caramelized veggies.
- Add the beef broth and stir it into the flour and vegetables. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Once the sauce is thickened, turn off the heat. Put two scoops of hot gravy into a bowl with the sour cream. Mix the two together to slightly warm, or temper, the sour cream. Then add the sour cream mixture to the rest of the gravy and stir it in until fully combined.
- Sprinkle the stroganoff with chopped parsley and serve with buttered egg noodles, rice, or potatoes.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.