Bella’s Chicken Tinga Party Board
When I was growing up in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago in a Mexican-American community, we often celebrated Cinco De Mayo with a huge parade filled with the prettiest floats, Mexican dancers, and plenty of food. Street vendors would line up along 18th street selling some of the most memorable Mexican food I’ve ever tasted, including chicken tinga. Here, the chicken is the centerpiece of a party board for you to share with your friends and family as you celebrate the holiday!
for 6 Servings
- 10 cups water
- 1 1 10 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered, plus 1/2 thinly sliced, divided
- 2 garlic glove
- 2 teaspoons while black peppercorn
- 1-2 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 medium roma tomato
- 2 garlic clove
- 4 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 3-ounce packet of chicken bullion powder
- Mexican rice
- tortilla chip
- salsa verde
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Seasoned black bean
- crumbled queso fresco
- Calories 127
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 0g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 16g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the chicken: Add the water to a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, quartered onion, garlic, black peppercorns, and bay leaves. Boil for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot, transfer to a medium bowl. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid, draining to remove the solids.
- Shred the chicken using an electric hand mixer on low speed or 2 forks.
- Make the tinga sauce. Add the tomatoes, garlic, chipotles, adobo sauce, reserved chicken cooking liquid, and chicken bullion to a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and cook for 1 minute, tossing to incorporate with the onion. Add the tinga sauce and stir to combine. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Season with the salt, then remove from the heat. Transfer the chicken to a serving bowl.
- Set the chicken on a large board and surround with Mexican rice, guacamole, tortilla chips, salsa verde, cilantro, black beans, queso fresco, lime wedges, jalapeños, tortillas, and bolillo rolls. Serve immediately.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.