84% would make again
Block Party Ribs By Marcus Samuelsson
Impress your guests with this mouth-watering recipe from celebrity chef Marcus Samuelsson, featuring juicy and tender ribs coated in a tangy and savory sauce.
May 05, 2023
for 6 servings
- 2 cups water (470 mL)
- ½ cup soy sauce (120 g)
- ½ cup dark brown sugar (110 g), packed
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 slabs pork rib
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 poblano chile, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ginger, 1-inch (2 1/2 cm) peeled and chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth (295 mL)
- 1 cup ketchup (240 g)
- 12 fl oz beer (355 mL), 1 bottle
- ½ cup coffee (120 mL)
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar (80 mL)
- ¼ cup molasses (80 g)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (60 mL)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Calories 379
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 50g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 28g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Whisk together all the rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spread the rub evenly over the pork ribs and place on a wire rack set over a baking sheet with meat side up. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- For the BBQ sauce, heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add poblano chile, red onion, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt, then cook until onions begin to soften.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook at an active simmer until the mixture is reduced to about 2 cups (470 ml), about 30-45 minutes.
- Once reduced, cool slightly then transfer mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 275˚F (140˚C).
- Uncover the ribs. Spread 1 cup (290g) of the BBQ sauce over each rack of ribs.
- Keeping them raised over the baking sheet on the wire rack. Pour water into the bottom of the baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 3-3 ½ hours.
- Remove ribs from oven and preheat the broiler to high.
- Broil the ribs for 5-10 minutes to finish, until the sauce caramelizes.
- Cut into individual ribs.