91% would make again
featured in How to Spookify Store Bought Treats
October 22, 2020
for 8 cupcakes
- ¾ cup water (180 mL)
- ⅔ cup light corn syrup (135 g)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 g)
- cornstarch, for dusting
- ¼ cup corn syrup (85 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons red gel food coloring
- 2 drops blue gel food coloring
- 8 red velvet cupcakes, store bought
- candy thermometer
- Make the edible “glass”: Line a baking sheet with a nonstick mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, combine the water, corn syrup, and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the temperature reaches 300°F (150°C), hard crack stage.
- Pour the candy evenly onto the prepared baking sheet and let cool at room temperature for 45–50 minutes.
- Once cooled, drop the baking sheet onto the counter a few times to break the candy into 1–2-inch “glass” shards. Dust lightly with cornstarch to prevent the pieces from sticking together.
- Make the “blood”: In a small bowl, whisk together the corn syrup, cornstarch, water, red food coloring, and blue food coloring until well combined.
- Stick 2–3 pieces of “glass” into each red velvet cupcake. Drizzle the “blood” over the top.