97% would make again
Blueberry Geometric Spoke Pie
featured in How To Make Geometric Pies By Lokokitchen
June 10, 2019
for 8 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 18 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 1/4 sticks, cubed, chilled
- 6 tablespoons water
- 4 cups blueberry (400 g), divided
- ¾ cup sugar (150 g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Calories 479
- Fat 26g
- Carbs 57g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, sugar, and salt, and pulse 2-3 times.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and pulse 8-10 times until the butter is pea-sized.
- Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl, and gradually add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough on a work surface, and divide into two even discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Add 3½ cups (350 g) blueberries, sugar, salt, tapioca starch, and lemon juice to large bowl and stir to combine.
- Remove one dough disc from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 12-inch (30-cm) circle, adding more flour to the dough as needed.
- Place the rolled out dough in a 9-inch (23-cm) pie dish, trimming any excess dough to fit the dish.
- Add the blueberry mixture to the pie dish.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C).
- Remove the other dough disc from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 12-inch (30-cm) circle, adding more flour to the dough as needed.
- Using a ruler, cut the dough into ½-inch (1-cm) strips.
- Place a 3-inch (7-cm) round metal cookie cutter in the center of the pie. Arrange the strips of dough around the cookie cutter, working your way around the pie. Trim any excess dough.
- Remove the cookie cutter, fill in the center with the remaining blueberries, and chill the pie in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375˚F (190˚F).
- Continue baking for 40-45 minutes, until the crust is cooked through and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie rest at room temperature for at least one hour.