Braised Short Rib Ragu
This hearty and flavorful braised short rib ragu is the perfect comfort food for a cozy night in.
May 14, 2023
97% would make again
for 6 servings
- 4 lb short rib (1.8 kg)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 ½ cups onion (225 g), chopped
- 1 cup carrot (120 g), chopped
- 1 cup celery (225 g), chopped
- 2 cups red wine (470 mL)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth (470 mL)
- 28 oz tomato (795 g), 1 can
- 1 dried bay leaf
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- grated pecorino romano, for garnish
- Calories 779
- Fat 37g
- Carbs 38g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 59g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- First, salt and pepper your short ribs.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, brown the short ribs in oil. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the red wine, cook until some of the alcohol has burned off.
- Stir in the garlic, rosemary, tomato paste, beef broth, canned tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Return the browned short ribs, bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for three hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Transfer the meat to a separate bowl, remove the bones, and pull apart the meat.
- Return to the pot. Give it a stir so all the meat is coated in the sauce.
- NOTE: Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or pasta and garnish with grated pecorino romano and fresh parsley.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.