90% would make again
Brazilian Chicken Croquettes (Coxinha)
featured in Brilliant Chicken Dishes From Around The World
These Brazilian croquettes are an amazing way to spice up your snack game. Crispy on the outside and packed with savory chicken filling on the inside, they're the ultimate finger food for any occasion.
May 05, 2023
for 9 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken (250 g), cooked, shredded
- ½ teaspoon paprika, or cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 4 oz cream cheese (110 g)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole milk (470 mL)
- ¼ cup chicken broth (60 mL)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (100 g)
- oil, for frying
- Calories 405
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 48g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 20g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil, then sauté garlic and onions until soft and brown. Add shredded chicken, salt, and paprika (or cayenne pepper). Stir to incorporate.
- Transfer mixture into a bowl, add cream cheese and parsley. Mix well.
- In the same pot, add butter, chicken broth, and milk. Bring to a boil. Stir in flour until dough is formed.
- Transfer dough to a flat surface. Knead the dough while it is warm, but not hot.
- Pinch a piece of dough, about the size of a large egg, and roll into a ball. Using your hands, flatten the dough and spoon filling into the center. Wrap the dough into a pear shape and make sure there aren’t any holes.
- While heating a pot of oil to 350˚F/180˚C, dredge the dough in egg and panko, then deep-fry till golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain on a towel, or wire rack and serve immediately.