Brick French Toast
This unique twist on classic French toast features smaller, crispy battered pieces of bread inside a larger bread cube with berries, making for a showstopping presentation. Impress your mom this Mother's Day, or serve as part of a birthday brunch.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- ½ white bread, unsliced
- egg wash
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (200 mL)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- maple syrup
- vanilla ice cream
- cookie stick
- Calories 166
- Fat 10g
- Carbs 12g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs, milk, and sugar, and mix until smooth.
- Cut out the inside of the bread: with a knife, cut into the loaf, about ½ inch away from the edge until you’re just about to the bottom. DO NOT CUT THROUGH. Cut all sides.
- Place the loaf on its side and ½ inch away from the bottom, make one slit through the bread without cutting through the other side.
- Gently pull out the cube you just cut. There will now be the inner loaf and the outer piece.
- Cut the inner loaf into small cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon and set aside with the egg mixture.
- Lightly dip each side of the bread and sprinkle on cinnamon sugar.
- For the outer piece, brush the egg wash along the inside, then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar to lightly coat the sides.
- Place the cubes and the outer piece on a lightly oiled, parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake at 350°F/180°C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place cubes into the outer piece and dress it with blueberries, strawberries, ice cream, and maple syrup.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here