78% would make again
Butter Lava Cake
featured in 5 Delicious Ways to Make Lava Cakes
Inspired by theyummylife.com
for 12 servings
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (310 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar (300 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whole milk (60 mL)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 oz cream cheese (115 g)
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar (200 g), divided for serving
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream (300 mL)
- nonstick cooking spray
- rasberry, for serving
- Calories 402
- Fat 25g
- Carbs 43g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- To make the cake batter, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. Once incorporated, mix in the milk. Gradually add the flour until the batter becomes thick and dough-like.
- To make the filling, use a hand mixer to beat the butter and cream cheese in a separate large bowl. Once fluffy, gradually add the powdered sugar. Mix in the vanilla extract and cream and beat until mixture is smooth and thick.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray. Take a golf ball-size portion of cake dough and line the base and sides of a cup. Repeat with the remaining cups.
- Fill each cake bowl with ¼ cup (30 g) of filling.
- Take another golf ball-size portion of cake dough, roll it in a ball, and flatten with your fingers to create a 2-inch (5-cm) circle. Place the circle over the top of the filling, and press down the edges to make sure it seals to the other dough. Repeat with the remaining cakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until light, golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, invert onto a cutting board.
- Serve immediately topped with sifted powdered sugar and raspberries.