Butternut Squash Sage Pull-Apart Bread
Add some flair to your dinner table with this butternut squash sage pull-apart bread! Soft and fluffy, with a savory filling of roasted butternut squash and fragrant sage, this bread will make any meal more delicious.
for 16 servings
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour (90 g)
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (220 g)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Maple Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped, plus 1-2 tablespoons whole leaves, divided
- Calories 130
- Fat 4g
- Carbs 21g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast the squash: Add the butternut squash to the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the squash is tender and starting to brown around the edges.
- Make the dough: Transfer the squash to a large bowl and mash until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, salt, ginger, sage, olive oil, and maple syrup.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Add 1 cup (450 g) of the mashed butternut squash (save the rest for another use) and work with your hands until the dough begins to come together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1-2 hours.
- Make the maple olive oil: In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, maple syrup, and salt.
- Once the dough has risen, roll out to about a 20-inch (51-cm) wide circle. Brush with maple olive oil and sprinkle with the chopped sage.
- Cut the dough into about 1½-inch (4-cm) squares. Roll up each dough square like a jelly roll.
- Place the dough pieces in a greased 8½x4½-inch (21x11-cm) loaf pan with the cut sides up.
- Loosely cover the loaf pan with a kitchen towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Towards the end of proofing, preheat the oven to 350°F (180˚C).
- Lightly brush the top of the proofed loaf with maple olive oil and garnish with the whole sage leaves.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown. If the top begins to brown too quickly, loosely cover with foil for the remainder of the cook time.
- Let the bread cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Nutrition - Calories: 117 calories, Total fat: 4 grams, Total carbs: 19 grams, Dietary fiber: 2 grams, Sugars: 3 grams, Proteins: 3 grams
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.