95% would make again
Caged Apple Puff Pastry
featured in Puff Pastry Decorations 4 Ways
Unleash your inner pastry chef with this stunning Caged Apple Puff Pastry! A show-stopping dessert that combines tender apples, cinnamon sugar, and flaky puff pastry, all wrapped up in an eye-catching lattice cage.
May 05, 2023
for 4 pastries
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 2 apples, peeled,cored and halved
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg wash
- Calories 487
- Fat 31g
- Carbs 48g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut the puff pastry into 9 equal squares.
- Taking one of the squares, make 5 equal 1-inch (2 cm) cuts on 2 sides of the square.
- Make 3 vertical 1-inch (2 cm) cuts in between the edge of the uncut side and the 2 slits on the cut sides.
- Make 2 vertical 1-inch (2 cm) cuts under the top slit and above the bottom slit.
- Repeat this pattern until you have 6 rows with 3 cuts and 5 rows with slits and 2 cuts. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Take another square place one of the apple halves in the center, peeled side facing up. Brush egg wash on each side of the square around the apple.
- Combine the butter, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Brush over the apple until it is completely coated.
- Take the other cut square of dough and stretch it over the apple, your cut should look like holes in the dough.
- Pinch the bottom of the dough together until it is sealed.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes until pastry is golden brown and puffed.