Invite your friends and family over, it’s sushi night at your place! Try your hand at rolling sushi at home with this easy California roll recipe. Imitation crab, cucumber, and avocado are wrapped up in nori and seasoned sushi rice for our take on this classic sushi bar favorite. Once you master the technique, you can experiment with swapping in your favorite fish, vegetables, and seasonings. Pro tips: use a sharp knife to ensure you’re able to cut the roll into even pieces, and cover the sushi mat with plastic wrap for easy clean-up!
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- 2 cups sushi rice (460 g), cooked
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar (60 mL)
- 4 half sheets sushi grade nori
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed, optional
- 8 pieces imitation crab
- 1 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Calories 531
- Fat 3g
- Carbs 94g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 68g
- Protein 16g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Season the sushi rice with the rice vinegar, fanning and stirring until room temperature.
- On a rolling mat, place one sheet of nori with the rough side facing upwards.
- Wet your hands and grab a handful of rice and place it on the nori. Spread the rice evenly throughout the nori without mashing the rice down. Season rice with a pinch of sesame seeds, if using, then flip it over so the nori is facing upwards.
- Arrange, in a horizontal row 1 inch (2.5 cm) from the bottom, the crab followed by a row of avocado and a row of cucumber.
- Grabbing both nori and the mat, roll the mat over the filling so the extra space at the bottom touches the other side, squeezing down to make a nice tight roll. Squeeze down along the way to keep the roll from holding its shape.
- Transfer the roll onto a cutting board. Rub a knife on a damp paper towel before slicing the roll into six equal portions.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.