Creamy pasta carbonara is as easy as it is decadent! Using our foolproof method, the eggs are whisked with Parmesan cheese, then tossed with the pasta off the heat for a thick, creamy sauce that won’t overcook. Finish with crispy chopped bacon and a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper for a bit of savory spice in every bite.
for 4 servings
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (125 g)
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for boiling
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
- 16 oz dried spathetti (450 g)
- 4 oz bacon (110 g), sliced into 1/4 (6 mm)
- Calories 832
- Fat 30g
- Carbs 86g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 49g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, salt, and pepper.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente according to the package instructions. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water, then drain the pasta through a colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the bacon to a large pan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Leave the rendered bacon fat in the pan.
- Transfer the drained pasta to the pan with the bacon fat and toss with tongs for 1 minute, until fully coated. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved pasta water to the egg mixture and whisk to combine, then carefully pour the mixture over the pasta, quickly tossing to coat. Add the reserved pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as necessary until the sauce is creamy and has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Add the bacon and toss to combine. Serve immediately topped with more freshly ground black pepper.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.