99% would make again
Carne Asada by Gabriel Barajas (aka Mr. TacosWay)
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- 1 lb ball tip sirloin (455 g)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups shredded monterey jack cheese (150 g)
- ½ cup white onion (75 g), diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (20 g), chopped
- 4 avocados
- 3 serrano peppers
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 1 cup dried red chili (150 g)
- 4 stewed tomatilloes, plus 2 cups (480 ml) stewing liquid
- 1 stewed tomato, plus ½ cup (120 ml) stewing liquid
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup salt (60 g)
- Calories 975
- Fat 58g
- Carbs 81g
- Fiber 24g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 41g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- To make the guacamole, add the avocados, serrano peppers, cilantro, garlic, salt, and a bit of water to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding water as needed to thin it down. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To make the red sauce, add the dried chilies, stewed tomatillos in 2 cups (480 ml) of their stewing liquid, stewed tomato in ½ cup (120 ml) of its stewing liquid, garlic, and bit of salt in a blender. Blend until everything is well incorporated, adding more salt to taste.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt into 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and rub the seasoning onto both sides of the steak.
- Cut the steak into thin strips, then cut into small pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large griddle or cast iron pan over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the steak and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the steak has browned on all sides. Move to the side of the griddle to keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium/medium-high and add a bit more oil to the griddle. Place the tortillas on the griddle and top with a generous amount of cheese. On half of the tortillas, add some of the cooked steak, diced onion, cilantro, red sauce, and guacamole.
- Place the other tortilla (cheese-side down) on top of the fillings. Serve.