Cast Iron Breakfast Pizza
Flour, eggs, cheese, sausage… can you tell what we’re making before the reveal?
for 6 Servings
White Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (425 g), casings removed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk (240 mL)
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- 14 oz pizza dough, or 12-14 ounces of store-bought pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- 2 cups frozen tater tots (300 g), cooked according to package instructions
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, of choice
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, thinly sliced
- Calories 1043
- Fat 68g
- Carbs 64g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 43g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Make the gravy: Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the sausage to the pan in a single layer, and cook, without disturbing, until browned and crispy on the bottom, 3–5 minutes. Flip the sausage and brown on the other side. Once browned, use a flat-sided wooden spatula to break up the sausage and continue cooking until no pink remains, about 2 minutes more. Transfer the sausage and any excess oil to a plate lined with 2 layers of paper towels. Set aside.
- Without wiping out the pan, return the pan to the heat and add the butter. Once the butter melts, add the flour and, using the wooden spatula, scrape up any sausage bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook the roux, whisking constantly, for 2–3 minutes, until it is bubbling slightly, light golden brown, and fragrant. Slowly stream in the milk and cream, whisking constantly so no lumps form. Bring to a simmer and cook, continuing to whisk, until thickened, 5–7 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper. Transfer the gravy to a heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Make the pizza: Carefully wipe out the skillet. Place the skillet in the preheated oven to heat until smoking, 10–15 minutes.
- While the skillet is warming, crack 1 egg into a strainer and let the excess watery whites drain out. Place the drained egg in a small bowl. Repeat with the remaining eggs and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss together the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.
- Unroll the pizza dough onto a piece of parchment paper and shape into a 12-inch circle. (If needed, trim away the corners of the rectangle and stretch the center outward for a rounder shape.)
- When the skillet is hot, carefully remove it from the oven and place on a heatproof pad or trivet. Sprinkle the cornmeal evenly over the bottom of the skillet.
- Working quickly and carefully, use the parchment to flip the pizza dough into the skillet and tuck the edges underneath the dough to form a crust. Spoon ½–¾ cup gravy over the dough and spread evenly, leaving a ½-inch border around the edges for the crust. Top the gravy with half of the cooked sausage and two-thirds of the cheese. Scatter the tater tots over the top.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently pour the eggs onto the pizza, spacing evenly. Season each egg with a pinch of pepper, then sprinkle the remaining cheese and sausage all over. Return to the oven and cook for 10–12 minutes more, until the egg whites are cooked through, but the yolks are still runny.
- Let the pizza cool for about 5 minutes before using a large spatula to carefully transfer it to a cutting board. Top with the remaining gravy, hot sauce, and the chives. Slice and serve immediately.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.