98% would make again
Charred Summer Vegetable Salad
featured in No-Grill BBQ Hacks
This creamy, fresh, and tangy summer salad will be your new favorite side dish. It features char-broiled vegetables tossed with baby arugula, goat cheese, and fresh cherry tomatoes.
June 01, 2020
for 4 servings
Charred Vegetable Salad
- 2 zucchinis, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch (2 cm) half moons
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch (2 cm) pieces
- 1 red onion, quartered, root left intact
- 2 ears corn, husked
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula (120 g)
- 1 cup cherry tomato (200 g), halved
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese (55 g)
Lemon Basil Dressing
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (120 mL)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (60 mL)
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves (20 g)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- Calories 612
- Fat 50g
- Carbs 35g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Char the vegetables: Arrange an oven rack in the top third of the oven. Turn the oven to high broil.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, arrange the zucchini, bell pepper, red onion, and corn. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Broil the vegetables for 8–10 minutes, until softened and nicely charred in spots. Remove from the oven and let vegetables cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables cool, make the dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, basil, honey, pepper, salt, and garlic and blend until fully combined and bright green in color. Transfer to a bowl or jar, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use. The dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Once the vegetables have cooled, cut the corn kernels from the cobs and cut the onion quarters into small pieces. Add to a large bowl with the remaining charred vegetables and the baby arugula, cherry tomatoes, and goat cheese. Drizzle with several spoonfuls of the dressing and toss well.
- Serve the salad with the remaining dressing alongside.