Cheese-Stuffed Hash Browns
These hash browns are inspired by the classics from McDonald’s, but with a twist–they’re stuffed with melty cheese! They are fun to whip up and serve to a crowd, but are also easy to freeze and reheat in the oven for breakfast on the go!
for 12 servings
- canola oil, for frying
- 2 lb frozen hash brown (910 g), thawed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 24 slices cheddar cheese
- ketchup, for serving
- Calories 295
- Fat 19g
- Carbs 24g
- Fiber 14g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Fill a large, deep pan halfway with canola oil and heat over medium heat until the temperature reaches 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, eggs, salt, pepper, paprika, and flour. Mix well.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the hash brown mixture onto a clean surface and shape into a rectangle.
- Place two slices of cheddar cheese in the center, then top with another tablespoon of the hash brown mixture and shape into a rectangle, sealing the cheese inside. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture and cheese.
- Use a large spatula to transfer 2 hash browns at a time to the hot oil and fry for 2–3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and season with more salt.
- Serve immediately with ketchup for dipping, or let cool completely, wrap in foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, unwrap and bake in a 400°F (200°C) oven for about 20 minutes, flipping once, until warmed through and golden brown.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.