91% would make again
Cheesy Potato Cake
Inspired by familystylefood.com
for 12 servings
- 5 russet potatoes, medium
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (300 g)
- 3 cups gruyère cheese (300 g), shredded
- 9 slices ham
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Calories 450
- Fat 30g
- Carbs 25g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 21g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, thinly slice the potatoes lengthwise.
- In a 13-inch (33-cm) cast iron skillet, layer slices of potatoes around the outside of the pan. Add another layer of potatoes, keeping them centered in the pan and moving clockwise until the pan is covered.
- Top with a third of the cheddar cheese, a third of the Gruyère cheese, and half of the ham.
- Add another layer of potato slices around the outside of the pan, then a add layer of slices around the center of the pan. Top with another third of the cheddar and Gruyère and the remaining ham slices.
- Add a final layer of potato slices around the center of the pan
- Top with the remaining cheddar and Gruyère cheese.
- Cover with greased aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 400˚F (200˚C).
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, garlic, Parmesan, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Slowly add in the cream, whisking until fully incorporated.
- Uncover the skillet and pour the cream mixture over potatoes, spreading evenly.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes uncovered, until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes, then slice and serve.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.