89% would make again
Cheesy Stuffed Eggplant
February 12, 2021
for 4 servings
- 2 large eggplants
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil (80 mL)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaf
- 2 ½ cups baby bella mushroom (375 g), sliced
- 1 ½ cups farro (150 g)
- ⅓ cup dry white wine (80 mL)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (720 mL)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese (95 g)
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup green sweet peas (35 g)
- ½ cup cherry tomato (100 g), halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- olive oil, drizzle
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Roast the eggplant: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and place on the prepared baking sheet cut-side up. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Roast the eggplant for 30–40 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, make the farro risotto: Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the farro, allowing the oil to coat each grain, and cook for 1 minute, until grains are lightly toasted.
- Pour in white wine and stir until it evaporates completely, 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the vegetable stock at a time and cook until the liquid begins to reduce before adding more, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes total. The farro should be cooked through and creamy.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the butter, Parmesan, salt, and pepper until melted and well combined.
- Gently fold in the sweet peas and cherry tomatoes, then the parsley.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and turn the broiler on high. Scoop out ¼ cup of flesh from each half and discard.
- Fill the eggplant halves with the farro risotto, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, then lay 2–3 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese on top. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil the eggplant for 7–10 minutes, until the mozzarella is golden brown. Garnish with the parsley and serve warm.