Cheesy Tuna Casserole
Dinner has never been easier than with this updated classic tuna casserole. Full of pantry staples, the dish comes together quickly. Make the casserole sauce, pour it over your favorite noodles, top it with cheese, and bake it off for a new weeknight staple.
for 12 servings
- 1 nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups chicken broth (480 mL)
- 1 cup whole milk (240 mL)
- 2 cups peas (300 g), canned, drained
- 1 cup carrot (120 g), drained
- 4 cans tuna, packed in water, drained
- 12 oz egg noodles (340 g), cooked according to package instructions and drained
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (300 g), divided
- 1 cup butter crackers (85 g), crumbled
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (25 g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Calories 620
- Fat 43g
- Carbs 29g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 29g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33cm) baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened and very fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, flour, Italian seasoning, and salt and cook for another minute, until thickened.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Once the mixture has thickened, 10–12 minutes, stir in the peas, carrots, and tuna.
- Spread the cooked egg noodles in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over pasta in the pan and stir to combine. Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese and stir to incorporate. Spread the casserole in an even layer, then sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix together the cracker crumbs, Parmesan, and olive oil. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 15–20 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and bubbling.
- Serve warm.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.