Chicken And Kale Stew
Want a cozy chicken stew that tastes like it’s been braising all day, but takes just an hour to prepare? You’ve come to the right recipe. Comforting chicken and potatoes are bolstered with fresh herbs and kale for a dish that’s warming and hearty, but not heavy.
for 6 servings
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large sprig fresh sage
- 1 lb chicken thighs (455 g), cut into 1 1/2 in (3 cm) pieces
- 3 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 (1 1/4 cm) in rounds
- 3 large cloves garlic, smashed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (30 g)
- ½ cup dry white wine (120 mL), such as sauvignon blanc
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock (15 g)
- 2 ½ cups small red potato (560 g), quartered
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stemmed and torn into 2 in (5 cm) pieces
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Calories 310
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 25g
- Fiber 27g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 21g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the bouquet garni: Stack the bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, and sage on top of one another. Tie a 3-inch (7 cm) length of butcher’s twine around the center of herbs and secure with a knot. Set aside.
- Season the chicken all over with about 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook for 1–2 minutes on one side, until golden brown and crispy. Flip and cook for another 1–2 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of oil if the pot looks dry. Melt the butter until just bubbling. Add the onion and carrots and season with ½ teaspoon salt. Cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and carrot is beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes, if using. Add the flour and cook for 2–3 minutes, until the vegetables are well-coated and the flour is lightly toasted, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken stock, bouquet garni, 2–3 teaspoons of salt, and the potatoes. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20–25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Return the chicken to the pot, along with the kale. Season the stew with more salt to taste and the black pepper. Cook until the chicken is warmed through and the kale is just wilted and tender, and the chicken is cooked through, about 2–3 minutes.
- Ladle the stew into bowls and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and more red pepper flakes. Serve warm.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.