97% would make again
Chicken And Wild Rice Soup
featured in Chicken and Wild Rice Soup And Sandwich
June 10, 2019
for 6 servings
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (455 g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- kosher salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup carrot (120 g), diced
- 1 cup celery (225 g), diced
- 1 cup yellow onion (150 g), chopped
- ½ lb mushroom (225 g), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup wild rice (150 g), uncooked
- 8 cups chicken broth (2 L), divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 g)
- ½ cup sour cream (115 g)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (10 g)
- Calories 575
- Fat 40g
- Carbs 36g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 36g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken thighs with the garlic powder, thyme, dried parsley, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss until well coated.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook the chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool for 5 minutes, then shred with 2 forks into small pieces.
- To the same pot, add the butter, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, stir, and cook over medium heat until the veggies are soft, 5-10 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the wild rice and 3½ cups of chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in the Parmesan, cooked vegetables, heavy cream, and remaining 4½ cups of broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in the sour cream, fresh parsley, and shredded chicken.
- Serve warm topped with more Parmesan.