91% would make again
Chicken Tinga Tacos (Tinga De Pollo)
for 4 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cloves garlic, 4 minced, 2 smashed
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tomatoes
- 5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock (120 mL)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 white onions, halved and sliced
- ¼ lb chorizo (115 g)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 12 corn tortillas
- Calories 789
- Fat 42g
- Carbs 66g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugar 13g
- Protein 38g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Place chicken in a saucepan over medium heat with enough water to cover by 1 inch (3 cm).
- Add the smashed garlic and cloves. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, cool slightly, then shred with two forks.
- Place a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, until smoking.
- Add the tomatoes and roll slowly around until blackened on all sides, about 6 minutes.
- Add the seared tomatoes to a blender with chipotle peppers, chicken stock, cumin, and nutmeg. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, and chorizo. Cook 2-3 minutes until the onions have softened and the chorizo has rendered a little fat.
- Add the lettuce and sauté 2-3 additional minutes, until softened.
- Add the tomato-chili mixture and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to incorporate.
- Add the shredded chicken and bring mixture to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid has cooked off, about 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on warm corn tortillas with sliced avocado.