Chili-Cheese Cornbread Poke Cake
This dish is a slam dunk! Imagine layers of fluffy cornbread infused with chili and ooey gooey cheese. It's a touchdown for your taste buds that will have you going back for seconds and thirds.
for 12 servings
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 3 cups milk (720 mL)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g)
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal (450 g)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 lb ground beef (905 g)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 28 oz crushed tomato (795 g), 1 can
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese blend (100 g)
- sour cream, for serving
- scallion, thinly sliced, for serving
- Calories 627
- Fat 32g
- Carbs 50g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 32g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the cornbread: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 9x13-inch (23x33-cm) glass baking dish with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until well-combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, and whisk to incorporate.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Make the chili: In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and break apart with a wooden spoon into small pieces. Add the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. Cook, stirring frequently, until the ground beef is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using the bottom of a utensil with a handle that is about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter, poke multiple holes in the cornbread.
- Pour the chili over the cornbread and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the cheese over the chili.
- Bake for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve with sour cream, scallions, and cilantro.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.