95% would make again
Chili Cheese Dog Boats
featured in 6 Scrumptious Hot Dog Recipes
These fun and flavorful boats feature hot dog buns filled with gooey melted cheese and and topped with chili and a hot dog. Perfect for a backyard BBQ or a game day party, they're sure to be a hit with both kids and adults.
May 05, 2023
for 8 servings
- 8 hot dog buns
- ¼ cup butter (30 g), melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 15 oz chili (425 g), with or without beans
- 8 hot dogs
- Calories 459
- Fat 31g
- Carbs 27g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 17g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Leaving them attached, place the 8 hot dog buns in a 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33-cm) baking dish. Cut a rectangle in each hot dog bun, making sure to stay 1 centimeter from the edges. Push down on the bread cut-out to compact it tightly into the bottom of each bun, making sure to press down on the bottom edges as well. This will help create a larger space for the fillings and reduce mess.
- Mix the butter, garlic, and parsley in a small bowl, then brush the buns and their hollowed insides with the garlic butter. Bake for 5 minutes to toast the buns as well as help the sides of the buns firm up so they don’t collapse under the weight of the fillings.
- Place a slice of cheddar cheese inside each bun, then spoon a bit of chili inside each one. Slide a hot dog snugly on top of the chili in each bun, then top with more chili.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and the chili has started to brown. Top with fresh parsley, then slice the hot dog boats along their connected seams to serve.