Chinese Fried Sesame Dessert Balls (Jian Dui)
featured in Takeout-Inspired Chinese Recipes
This is a traditional and popular Chinese classic dessert, served during Lunar New Year and it that will satisfy your sweet cravings.
January 19, 2021
87% would make again
for 8 servings
Red Bean Filling
- ¼ cup red bean (40 g), dried
- 4 cups water (960 mL)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- ⅔ cup hot water (160 mL)
- ½ cup light brown sugar (110 g)
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour (250 g), plus more for dusting
- ½ cup sesame seed (75 g)
- 7 cups vegetable oil (1.6 L)
- Make the red bean filling: In a medium bowl, combine the red beans with 1 cup (240 ml) of water. Cover with plastic wrap and soak overnight.
- Drain the red beans, then transfer to a small saucepan with the remaining 3 cups (720 ml) of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover and cook for 1 hour, until soft enough to mash with a fork.
- Add the sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid evaporates and a thick red bean paste forms.
- Transfer the red bean paste to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the paste to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the dough: In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, whisk the hot water with the light brown sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the glutinous rice flour to a medium bowl and use a spoon to create a small well in the center.
- Pour the sugar syrup into the well and stir for 5 minutes, until the dough is well combined and no longer sticks to the bowl.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with glutinous rice flour. Turn the dough out and knead for 5 minutes, until it forms a smooth, round ball. Use a little bit more flour or water as needed.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll the pieces into small balls, then flatten into discs about ½-inch (1 ¼ cm) thick and 2½-inches (6.5 cm) in diameter.
- Place 1 teaspoon of red bean filling in the center of a piece of dough. Fold in the edges to cover the filling, then roll into a ball. Roll the ball in the sesame seeds until the dough is covered. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot until it reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Fry the sesame balls for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet to drain and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.