95% would make again
Chinese Takeout-style Tofu And Broccoli
featured in 6 High Protein Vegetarian Dinners
June 10, 2019
for 4 servings
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- ¹¹⁄₂ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, plus more for serving
- cooked white rice, for serving
- sliced scallions, for serving
- Calories 244
- Fat 11g
- Carbs 25g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 14g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Wrap the tofu in 2 layers of paper towels and place on a plate. Put another plate on top of the tofu to weigh it down and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until drained.
- After microwaving, carefully unwrap the tofu and slice into ½-1 inch cubes. Pat each cube dry.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu and cook on all sides until golden brown, 2-4 minutes per side, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add broccoli to the hot pan with the vegetable broth. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and remaining ½ teaspoon of sesame oil. Stir until softened.
- Add the soy sauce, agave, rice vinegar, and cornstarch slurry. Stir until thickened to your desired consistency. Add the sesame seeds and stir to incorporate.
- Return the tofu to the pan and toss to coat in the sauce.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.