Chipotle Chili And Cornbread Dumplings
These dumplings are the perfect comfort food for a cold day. Spicy chili is topped with tender cornbread dumplings for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 12 servings
- 2 lb ground beef (905 g)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, ground
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 12 oz tomato paste (340 g)
- 2 cups beef broth (480 mL)
- 12 oz chopped tomato (340 g), 1 can
- 15 oz black beans (425 g), 1 can
- 15 oz red kidney bean (425 g), 1 can
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, optional
- 1 cup cornmeal (120 g)
- 1 cup flour (125 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup honey (85 g)
- ½ cup buttermilk (120 mL)
- Calories 472
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 32g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 30g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix and make a little well in the center.
- Add the milk, eggs, honey into the well, beat the eggs and liquid first, and then combine with the rest of the dry ingredients. Set aside until chili is almost finished.
- In a large pot at medium high heat, add the beef, season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and cook until it is a deep brown color.
- Add the onion, red bell peppers garlic, and chopped chipotles, and a pinch of salt. Cook until caramelized and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste gets dark and starts sticking to the bottom slightly.
- Add in the canned diced tomatoes, beef broth, black beans, kidney beans, and apple cider vinegar (optional). Stir until all is well incorporated. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low to a simmer,
- Scoop and shape the cornbread batter into golf ball sized dumplings and place in the simmering chili.
- Put a lid on the Chili and steam/simmer the dumplings 20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and sliced scallions.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.