Chloe Bailey's Cauliflower Popcorn "Chicken"
August 14, 2023
78% would make again
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 4 servings
- 8 cups neutral oil (1.9 L), for frying
- ½ cup all purpose flour (65 g)
- ½ cup cornstarch (65 g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 cup soda water (240 mL)
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaf (10 g), roughly chopped
- 1 lime, quartered into wedges
- DoorDash Make ‘Em Sweat Sauce, for serving
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- In a large, high-walled pot, heat the oil over medium heat until the temperature reaches 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and basil until thoroughly combined. Drizzle in the soda water and whisk until there are no visible lumps.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the batter and stir with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.
- Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot, use a fork to lift the florets from the batter and gently lower into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cauliflower to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Garnish the cauliflower with the cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with Make “Em Sweat Sauce for dipping.