Chocolate Coconut Bunny Butt Cake
Add this adorable cake to your Easter dessert table. Everything about this cake is edible–minus the toothpicks. Cover chocolate cake in homemade vanilla buttercream and shredded coconut, form the paws using cupcakes and marshmallows, and create pawprints and ears with candy melts. Plus, check out our fun hack for making cute edible carrots.
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
for 10 servings
Chocolate Cake And Paws
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar (440 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk (60 mL)
- ¼ cup pink candy melts (25 g)
- ¼ cup white candy melts (25 g)
- 3 cups shredded coconut (300 g), divided - plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon leaf green gel food coloring
- 10 orange flavored chewy candies
- 2 green sour candy ropes
- 2 large marshmallows
- 10 easter egg chocolates
- 1 cake pan, or oven safe bowl (7 in - 17 cm)
- 1 round flat bottomed cake pan
- 2 wooden skewers, 5 1/2 in (14 cm)
- 10 small toothpicks
- Make the chocolate cake and paws: Preheat the oven 325°F (170°C). Grease a 7-inch hemisphere-shaped cake pan or 9-inch deep oven-safe bowl and 5 cups of a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Pour the chocolate cake batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling each about ¾ of the way. Bake for 12–15 minutes, until the cupcakes spring back when gently pressed.
- Fill the prepared cake pan with the remaining batter and set in a flat-bottomed cake pan to stabilize in the oven. Bake for 55–70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes and cake from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 20–30 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely, at least 1 hour.
- Make the buttercream: In a large bowl, combine the butter, salt and powdered sugar. Cream with an electric hand mixer on medium speed for 5–7 minutes, until no powdered sugar remains at the bottom of the bowl. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla. Add the milk and continue beating until the buttercream is light and fluffy, another 5 minutes.
- Make the bunny ears and paw prints: In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine the pink and white candy melts. Microwave in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and cut a small hole at the tip.
- Line 2 small baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the skewers vertically at one short end of a prepared baking sheet. Starting at the tops, pipe the melted pink candy over the skewers in the shape of bunny ears, leaving 4–5 inches uncovered at the bottom to stick into the cake. Let sit until dry, about 5 minutes.
- On the remaining prepared baking sheet, use the candy melts to pipe 4 large circles, about 1 inch in diameter, and 8 small ovals, about ½ inch wide, for the paw prints. Let sit until dry, about 5 minutes. You will not need all of these for assembly, but make extra incase of breaking or improper sizing.
- Make the grass: In a medium bowl, mix together 1½ cups shredded coconut and the green food coloring until the color is evenly distributed.
- Make the carrots: Using kitchen shears, cut off the flat ends of the orange candies.
- Cut the green sour ropes crosswise into ½-inch pieces. Place 2–3 of the green ropes pieces onto the sticky, exposed sides of the orange candies for the carrot tops.
- Make the bunny tail: Add 3 cupcakes to a medium bowl and crumble finely with your hands. Mix in 1 tablespoon of the buttercream until evenly distributed, then shape the cake mixture into a ball. Transfer to the refrigerator for 1–2 hours to set.
- After chilling, coat the cake ball in buttercream, then cover with 3 tablespoons of the white shredded coconut. Return to the fridge while you assemble the rest of the cake.
- Make the feet: Place the remaining 2 cupcakes on a cutting board, with the bottoms facing up. Dab a bit of buttercream on the side of each cupcake and place a marshmallow on top of the buttercream.
- Cover the cupcakes and marshmallows with a thin coat of buttercream and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set.
- Remove the feet from the refrigerator and cover with a thicker coat of buttercream, rounding the edges to blend the shape together. They should be narrower at the top and rounder at the bottom. Arrange the pink candy paw prints on the feet, with a round circle on top and the 3 smaller ovals underneath. Return to the refrigerator to set for another 20–30 minutes
- Assemble the cake: Dollop 1 tablespoon of buttercream on the center of a cake platter. Place the round cake on the center of the platter with the domed side facing up, using the buttercream to keep the cake in place.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream all around the cake and cover with the remaining 1 ½ cups white shredded coconut.
- Place 6 toothpicks in 2 triangle shapes on one side of the cake. Remove the feet from the refrigerator and place them into the toothpicks.
- Place 4 toothpicks above the feet, then attach the tail to the toothpicks.
- Spread the coconut grass around the body, then arrange the easter eggs and carrots in the grass.
- Stick the ears in the front side of the bunny at about a 45° angle, so that they are slightly resting on the cake for support. If the skewers are too long, cut down so the ears cant rest against the cake.
- Slice and serve.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.