Chocolate-Stuffed Churro Donuts
Chocolate-stuffed churro donuts are the ultimate indulgence. The crispy exterior and oozing chocolate center create a satisfying crunch and a smooth finish. Don't forget to dust with cinnamon sugar!
for 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 1 cup flour (125 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup chocolate chips (90 g)
- oil, for frying
- cinnamon sugar
Special Equipment Needed
- piping bag, with a large star tip
- nonstick baking sheet
- Calories 323
- Fat 20g
- Carbs 28g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 7g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add butter, brown sugar, salt, and water, and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the butter has fully melted and the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and add in flour.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir until the dough comes together to form a ball and there are no lumps.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes before proceeding to the next step (to prevent accidentally cooking the eggs).
- Mix in the vanilla extract and add in the eggs, one at a time, being sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next.
- Once all the eggs are incorporated, transfer it to a piping bag with a large star tip.
- On a nonstick baking sheet, pipe the dough in circles leaving a hole in the center.
- Place the chocolate chips in a ring and top with remaining dough, making sure there are no gaps in between each layer.
- Transfer the tray to the freezer and freeze until solid, about 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a deep pot to 350˚F (175˚C).
- Remove the baking tray from the freezer and use a butter knife to release the churro donuts. Return any extras to the freezer while you wait to fry.
- Fry the donuts in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, until brown and the dough is cooked through.
- Drain on a paper towel before rolling in cinnamon sugar.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.