Cinnamon Swirl Danish
featured in 7 Fall Cinnamon Breakfasts
This recipe takes a classic pastry and adds a cinnamon swirl filling for a sweet and tasty treat. Topped with a creamy glaze, they're a perfect option for breakfast or dessert.
May 04, 2023
89% would make again
for 5 servings
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 oz cream cheese (225 g), softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 g), plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 17.5 oz puff pastry (495 g), 1 sheet
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar (60 g)
- 2 tablespoons milk, or heavy cream
- Calories 831
- Fat 58g
- Carbs 69g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, ¼ cup (50 G) of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and the vanilla until smooth.
- Transfer the cream cheese mixture into a piping bag or plastic bag with a large round tip.
- Roll out the puff pastry until it’s ⅛-inch (½-cm) thick.
- Pipe the cream cheese mixture along one short edge of the pastry sheet, then roll up until just sealed.
- Use a knife to cut along the edge to create one roll.
- Repeat three more times, or until all the puff pastry is used.
- Begin to twist the first roll to create a swirl.
- Connect the next piece of dough by pinching to seal the edge to the end of the first piece.
- Continue to wrap and seal all pieces until finished.
- Using a spatula transfer the dough to the cake pan.
- Preheat the oven 350°F (180°C) to and grease an 8-inch (20-cm) round cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter with the remaining tablespoon of sugar and teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Brush the butter mixture over the dough.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
- In a liquid measuring cup or bowl, mix the powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the danish swirl.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.