Citrus Peel Tofu
A saucy tofu dish with citrus peels.
June 29, 2022
for 4 servings
- 1 cup orange peels, 3 ounces (1 cup) orange peels (from about 4 oranges), pith removed, divided
- 1.25 cups water
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste, chile garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 14 oz extra firm tofu, 1 block of extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2–4 tablespoons
- long grain white rice, for serving
- scallion, Thinly sliced for serving
- sesame seed, for serving
- Calories 325
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 37g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 28g
- Protein 11g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add 1½ ounces (½ cup) of the orange peels to a small saucepan and cover with the water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5–8 minutes, or until the peels have softened and are fragrant. Drain to remove the orange peels and reserve 1 cup of steeping liquid.
- Very thinly slice the remaining 1½ ounces (½ cup) of orange peels. Add to a medium bowl with the brown and granulated sugars and toss to coat. Let sit for 5–10 minutes to infuse the sugar with the orange flavor.
- Pour the reserved warm orange-infused water over the sugared peels and stir until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Add the rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, chile garlic paste, and sesame oil and stir to incorporate. Add the tofu and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 20–30 minutes.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade (it’s okay if some of the orange peels stick to the tofu). Transfer to a large bowl and gently toss with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until lightly coated. Reserve the marinade.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Working in batches, fry the tofu on all sides until golden brown and puffed, 5–7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the remaining tofu.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the marinade with the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch until smooth.
- Pour the remaining marinade into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Once simmering, whisk in the cornstarch slurry and return the tofu to the pan. Cook, stirring often to prevent burning, until the sauce is thickened and the tofu is well-coated, 3–4 minutes.
- Serve the tofu over rice and garnish with scallions and toasted sesame seeds.