Classic American Cheeseburger
The secret to these easy burgers is using a blend of different types of ground meat to give the burgers amazing flavor, while keeping them tender. You can ask a butcher to grind them for you, or some grocery stores sell their own unique burger blends.
for 4 servings
- 12 oz 80% lean ground beef (350 g)
- 6 oz ground beef short rib (175 g)
- 6 oz ground beef brisket rib (175 g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 large hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 slices beefsteak tomatoes
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 leaves green leaf lettuce
- dijon mustard
- Calories 786
- Fat 45g
- Carbs 41g
- Fiber 26g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 48g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, gently mix together the ground chuck, short rib, and brisket with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon ground pepper.
- Shape the meat into 4 equal patties about 4½ inches wide and 1 inch thick. Use your thumb to press an indentation into the center of each patty to prevent a bubble from forming in the center when cooking. Generously season the tops and sides of the patties with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Spread about ½ tablespoon of butter onto each cut side of the hamburger buns. Working in batches, toast the buns, buttered-side down, for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add a thin layer of canola oil to the pan and cook the burgers for 4 minutes on one side, until nicely browned. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side. Top each burger with a slice of cheese and cover the pan with a lid. Cook until the cheese is melted and the internal temperature of the burgers reaches 135°F (57°C), another 1–2 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers: Place a burger patty on each toasted bun, then top with a slice of tomato and red onion, lettuce, ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard. Serve immediately.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.