Under 30 minutes
for 6 servings
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk (240 mL)
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
- 2 ¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (250 g)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (425 g), cooked according to package instructions until al dente and drained, not cooled
Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (55 g)
- Calories 800
- Fat 45g
- Carbs 68g
- Fiber 9g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 30g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, salt, and pepper and whisk until smooth and bubbling, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk and heavy cream, whisking constantly, until smooth. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 4–5 minutes. Add the cheddar cheese and stir until melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Fold in the cooked pasta until evenly coated.
- Pour the mac and cheese into a 9-inch square pan.
- Make the bread crumb topping: In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, salt, garlic powder, and paprika with a fork until combined. Add the panko bread crumbs and stir until evenly coated in the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb topping evenly over the mac and cheese.
- Bake the mac and cheese for 10–15 minutes, or until the topping is browned (if the top isn’t browning, broil on high for 2–3 minutes).
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.