94% would make again
Classic French Omelette
featured in The Best Homemade Omelets You'll Ever Eat
French omelettes are arguably the most famous omelettes––and the most technically challenging. But fear no more, we take you through all the tips, tricks and techniques to create the most delicious, and beautiful, omelette in no time.
for 1 serving
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- fresh chive, for garnish, minced
- flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Calories 475
- Fat 41g
- Carbs 1g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 24g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the eggs, water, and salt to a medium bowl. Use a wire whisk or fork to beat until the whites and the yolks are completely combined, with no spots of egg white remaining. The mixture should flow off the whisk evenly. Let sit at room temperature for 10–15 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until it starts to foam, but does not brown, about 1 minute. Pour in the eggs. Using a rubber spatula, constantly scrape the bottom of the pan while also moving it in a circular motion to ensure that the eggs cook slowly, forming only small curds, 1–2 minutes. Be sure to scrape the sides of the pan to incorporate the wispy edges back into the center of the omelette. Once the eggs are softly scrambled and look creamy and custardy, 2–3 minutes more, stop stirring and reduce the heat to low. Use the spatula to smooth the surface in an even layer. You can also gently shake the skillet to settle any uncooked egg. The surface should look wet, but not runny.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 1 minute to ensure the omelette will hold its shape.
- Gently begin to roll up one side of the omelette. Slide ½ tablespoon of butter into the pan to help release the rest of the omelette from the surface. Continue rolling into a cylinder shape, then invert onto a plate, seam-side down.
- Brush the exterior of the omelette with the remaining ½ tablespoon butter. Garnish with chives and flaky salt.
- Serve immediately.