92% would make again
Coconut Nanaimo Bars
featured in Canadian Chocolate Bars Four Ways
Take your taste buds on a tropical vacation with these coconut Nanaimo bars. A creamy coconut filling sandwiched between layers of chocolate and graham cracker will transport you straight to the beach.
May 05, 2023
for 9 bars
- ½ cup butter (115 g)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs (105 g)
- 1 cup sliced almond (70 g), chopped
- ½ cup flaked coconut (35 g)
- ½ cup butter (115 g), softened
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (240 g)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (60 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 oz chocolate (170 g)
- shredded coconut, to garnish
- Calories 686
- Fat 46g
- Carbs 62g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 43g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a bain-marie, melt the butter, sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Stir in the egg and keep stirring for a minute until the mix thickens.
- Remove the bowl from heat.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, the almonds (chopped finely), and the coconut flakes.
- When well mixed, pour into an 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) pan and flatten until you get an even layer.
- Cream the custard powder, softened butter, and coconut milk until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and the shredded coconut and mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture on top of the crust and spread it until you get an even layer.
- In a bain-marie, slowly melt the chocolate and the butter.
- Cool it down a little bit then pour it over middle layer.
- Chill the bars for at least 3 hours.
- Cut them into 9 even squares and sprinkle each one with shredded coconut.