for 4 servings
- ¼ cup Private Selection® Sumatran Mandheling Medium-Dark Roast Ground Coffee (25 g)
- 2 cups boiling water (480 mL)
- 3 lb bone-in English-cut beef short ribs (1.2 g), cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 1 ¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Private Selection™ Tellicherry Black Peppercorn, to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Private Selection® Vidalia Sweet Onion, cut into 1 in (2.5 cm) pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1 in (2.54 cm) pieces
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 16 oz beef broth (450 g)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 ½ lb Private Selection™ Petite Medley Potatoes (650 g), halved
- 2 ½ tablespoons Private Selection™ Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 16 oz Private Selection™ Handpicked Broccoli Florets (450 g), defrosted
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Arrange an oven rack in the lower third position and the other in the upper third position. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the Private Selection® Sumatran Mandheling Medium-Dark Roast Ground Coffee to the bottom of a French press. Pour the boiling water over the grounds. Give the coffee a quick stir, cover with the lid (leaving the plunger up) and let sit for 4 minutes. Press the plunger down all the way to the bottom. Immediately pour the coffee into a heatproof liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- Season the short ribs all over with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the canola oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add short ribs, (in batches if needed) and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the short ribs to a plate and discard all but a thin layer of oil.
- Return the Dutch oven to medium-high heat and add the Private Selection® Vidalia Sweet Onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook until the onion is translucent and the carrots have started to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, until golden in color, 1 minute more.
- Add the beef broth and use a wooden spatula to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the bay leaves, rosemary, short ribs and any accumulated juices, and 1½ cups of the brewed coffee. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the Dutch oven and transfer to the oven. Cook for about 1½ hours, or until the short ribs are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add potatoes to a prepared baking sheet and toss with 1½ tablespoons Private Selection™ Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil and ½ teaspoon salt until well coated. Spread in a single layer, cut side down. On the other prepared baking sheet, toss the broccoli with the remaining tablespoon olive oil and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- After short ribs have been in the oven for 1 hour, add the potatoes and broccoli to the oven and cook until tender, 25–30 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and transfer the short ribs to a platter. Discard the rosemary stems and bay leaves. Let the sauce settle, then skim the fat from the surface and discard. Season the sauce with more salt to taste.
- Divide the potatoes and broccoli between shallow bowls, then top with the short ribs and spoon sauce over top.