Cole Slaw As Made By Chef Kuniko Yagi
Chef Kuniko Yagi of Pikunico, a Japanese fried chicken restaurant in Los Angeles, shares this perfect complement to her Golden Chicken Sandwich. We want to put her sesame dressing on just about everything, so you’ll be glad to have some left over. If you can’t find sesame paste, you can swap it out for tahini.
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, finely ground
- 1 ½ teaspoons japanese white sesame paste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (120 mL)
- 2 cups green cabbage (200 g), shredded
- 1 cup fresh baby kale (70 g)
- ⅓ cup green beans (120 g), trimmed, blanched, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon red onion, thinly sliced
- Calories 335
- Fat 29g
- Carbs 17g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground white sesame seeds, sesame paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Whisk to combine, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil, little by little, whisking constantly until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, kale, green beans, red onion, and 2 tablespoons of the sesame dressing. Toss until everything is well coated, adding more dressing as needed. Reserve the remaining dressing for another use.
- Serve the cole slaw alongside the golden chicken sandwiches.