Get ready to party with these Confetti Crullers! These delightful, twisted treats are fried to golden perfection and coated in a sweet glaze with a burst of colorful sprinkles.
May 04, 2023
81% would make again
for 16 crullers
- 1 cup unsalted butter (230 g), 2 sticks, cubed
- 1 ¼ cups water (300 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups milk (300 mL)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (65 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- ⅓ cup rainbow sprinkles (65 g), plus more for topping
- 8 cups canola oil (1.9 L)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (480 g), sifted
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- large star piping tip
- deep fry thermometer
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the butter, water, milk, sugar, and salt. Whisk until the butter is melted and the mixture is steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Quickly whisk the all-purpose and whole wheat flours and the baking powder into the hot milk mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 5 more minutes. Remove the pot from heat and stir with a spatula to cool the dough.
- When the dough is no longer hot to the touch, add the eggs one at a time, stirring to incorporate before adding the next.
- Add the vanilla and sprinkles and stir to distribute evenly.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag or zip-top bag fitted with a large star tip.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, pipe 4-inch (10-cm) circles of dough. Chill in the freezer until solid, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and cream cheese. Whisk until smooth and runny. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Carefully add the crullers to the hot oil. Fry about 3 at a time for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown. The fried crullers should feel much lighter than they were originally. Transfer the fried crullers to a wire rack set over a baking sheet.
- While still warm, dip one side of the crullers in the glaze. Return to the wire rack and allow excess glaze to drip off. Top with sprinkles.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.