Corned Beef Sandwich
featured in 69 Sandwiches From Tasty
Homemade corned beef makes all the difference here! This recipe shows you how to make juicy and flavorful corned beef at home. Pile it on a sandwich with lots of mustard and pickles.
May 04, 2023
74% would make again
for 12 servings
- 2 qt water (1.8 L)
- 2 cups kosher salt (480 g)
- 1 cup brown sugar (220 g)
- 2 teaspoons pink curing salt
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- fresh ginger, 2-in (5 cm) sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 3 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 12 juniper berries
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 lb ice (910 g)
- 5 lb beef brisket (2.2 kg), good-quality, trimmed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 bottles ginger beer
- 2 bottles dark extra-stout beer
- 2 slices rye toast
- english mustard, to taste
- kosher dill pickle, sliced lengthwise to taste
- In a very large pot, combine the water, kosher salt, brown sugar, pink curing salt, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, mustard seeds, peppercorns, allspice berries, juniper berries, and cloves. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once the brine is boiling, remove from the heat and add the ice to bring the temperature below 45˚F (7˚C).
- Place the brisket in a large plastic storage container with a lid. Pour the cooled brine over the meat. Cover and brine the beef in the refrigerator for 5–7 days, flipping once a day.
- Once the brisket is brined, remove the beef from the liquid and transfer to a pot large enough for it to sit flat on the bottom. Add the onion, celery, carrot, ginger beer, and beer. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer for 2½–3 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender. Remove the meat from the pot and let cool. If making corned beef and cabbage, reserve the cooking liquid. Otherwise, discard.
- Spread the mustard on both sides of the toasted rye bread. Lay the ⅓ lb corned beef and pickles on one slice of bread and top with the other slice.
- Cut the sandwich in half crosswise.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.